Join NASW   |   NASW Store   |   Print Page   |   Sign In
NASW-MA Chapter CE Approval Program

What are CEUs and how are they issued?

CEUs are units of credit received when attending an approved continuing education program. A CEU hour is equal to one hour of instruction. This does not include breaks, lunches, registration, etc.

(Back to top)

What is a social work licensing period?

A licensing period is a two-year time frame in which licensed social workers in Massachusetts need to obtain continuing education credits. Licensing periods begin on October 1st and end on September 30th of even years (e.g. the present period started on 10/1/16 and will end on 9/30/18). This will change starting 10/1/18. 

(Back to top)

What’s a sponsor?

The "sponsor" of a program is the organization (or individual) producing the program and applying for CE accreditation through The NASW-MA Chapter CE Approval Program.

(Back to top)

What if I don’t know the date of my program yet?

A program date is required for your application to be processed. DO NOT submit an application without a program date.

(Back to top)

My program has many sessions and/or spans multiple days. How many applications should I submit?

Participants must attend 100% of the approved program. If participants are required to attend all dates, you may submit one application for the program. If you have a two day program and wish people to receive credit for each day (without having to attend both days) you will need to submit an application for each day. If you have a multi-day program with many sessions and participants can pick and choose which sessions to attend (meaning people could have completed a variety of hours), then you will have to devise a method for verifying attendance at each session and a CE form to confirm that. Contact NASW for further information on how to do this.

(Back to top)

My program crosses licensing cycles. Which cycle will it be approved for?

For Standard Programs, the final program date will determine the approved licensing cycle. For Grand Rounds, each session will be approved for the cycle in which it falls.

(Back to top)

My program is being held less than six weeks from now. Can I still submit an application?

Yes, though the review might not be completed before the program date. This requires you to keep strict attendance records with names and addresses of participants who attend 100% of the program in order to later mail CE certificates.

(Back to top)

My program has already taken place. Can I apply retroactively?

Yes*, if it meets the following three conditions:

  1. The program date falls within the current licensing cycle.
  2. The NASW-MA Chapter CE Approving Program receives the application no more than one year after the original program date.
  3. You have kept strict attendance records of those who have attended 100% of the program and are able to send CE certificates to participants.

*Please see Fees and Payment Methods for applicable late fees when submitting retroactively.

(Back to top)

My program has been cancelled/the date of my program has changed. What do I do?

If you need to reschedule a program that has already been approved, please email, mail, or fax a letter to The NASW-MA Chapter CE Approval Program noting the following:

  1. The sponsoring organization
  2. Program title
  3. Authorization number
  4. Original program dates/times
  5. Reason for rescheduling
  6. New program dates/times

The rescheduled program must follow the exact same timeline and course content as originally planned in order to use the original authorization number. If there are any changes to the program structure or content, you must reapply. If the program has been cancelled with no rescheduled date, no action is needed.

(Back to top)

Does the program instructor have to be a social worker in order to get approved?

No. The instructor must only have the relevant experience and knowledge to teach the program’s topic.

(Back to top)

I am an individual sponsor who has been approved by the NASW-MA Chapter CE Approving Program in the past. Do I need to submit 2 letters of reference and a resume each time I apply?

If you are an individual sponsoring a program independently of any organization and this is your FIRST time applying since April 1st, 2011, you must submit a resume and two letters of reference regarding your qualifications and relevant experience.

(Back to top)

Are there paper versions of the forms?

Yes. See Submitting the Application for links to download the paper application forms, fee schedule and instructions. The fee schedule for paper applications is different from the online application fees.

(Back to top)

Is there a way to save my application online and come back to it later?

No. Applications cannot be saved through the website and must be filled out in one sitting. It is advisable to wait until you have gathered all the necessary information before beginning the online form.

(Back to top)

How do I advertise social work CEUs?

If an authorization number HAS been issued at the time of advertising, appropriate wording is:

“This program has been approved for ___ Social Work Continuing Education hours for relicensure, in accordance with 258 CMR. NASW-MA Chapter CE Approval Program Authorization Number _______.”

If an authorization number HAS NOT been secured at the time of printing, appropriate wording is:

“Application for social work continuing education credits has been submitted. Please contact us at (your organization’s phone number/email/website/etc.) for the status of social work CE accreditation.”

DO NOT print that credits are “pending.”

(Back to top)

Can I apply to earn social work CEUs for a course I attended?

You cannot apply to earn social work CEUs for a course you attended, the organization that puts on the course needs to apply for them. For more information on who the MA social work licensing board will accept CEU authorization from, please view this page:

If the organization is willing to apply to provide social work CEUs, please feel free to direct them to our site: to start the application process. Please note: there is an application fee. If they are willing to fill out the application but not pay the fee and if you are willing to pay the fee that’s fine, but they would still need to fill out the application.

(Back to top)

Can I earn social work CEUs toward my license renewal for presenting, teaching, or publishing relevant, acceptable social work material?

Yes, you can earn social work CEUs toward your license renewal for presenting, teaching, or publishing relevant, acceptable social work material. There is a free application process that must be done through the MA social work licensing board. The application below must be received (not post-marked) no later than 60 days prior to the expiration of your social work license.

Download the Application Here

Please note: This is NOT for people attending a course/class that has not been approved for social work CEUs. An attendee CANNOT apply for social work CEUs for a course/class.

(Back to top)

< Back to NASW-MA Chapter CE Approval Program
more Featured Events

MLK, Jr. Forum on Racial Justice: "Environmental Justice is Racial Justice" - 2.5 CEUs

1/31/2020 - Licensing Test Prep Course

National Association of Social Workers - Massachusetts Chapter
11 Beacon Street, Suite 510, Boston MA 02108
tel: (617)227-9635 fax: (617)227-9877 email:
Copyright 2017, NASW-MA. All rights reserved.

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal